The Asylum
Applying for Asylum How to apply for asylum Rights and Obligations Asylum Procedure First Instance Appeals Latest News Asylum Service (NEW) First Reception Service (NEW)

How to apply for Asylum Print E-mail

Access to the asylum system is free of charge

When and where to submit an International Protection Application?

  • The competent authorities to receive your application are the Regional Asylum Offices and the of the regional Asylum Office dispatched units.


We inform you that the Asylum Service is not competent to receive your application if: a) you have already submitted an application for international protection to the Police, and that application is still pending, b) If you already have a special alien asylum applicant’s card (pink card).

We also inform you that in any case you will be fingerprinted so that the Asylum Service will be able to ascertain if you have already submitted an application for international protection, and it will promptly be verified whether you have such an application pending.

  • In case you are detained or you remain in First Reception facilities, the competent detention or first reception services must inform the Asylum Service regarding your wish to submit an application for International Protection.
  • You must submit your application in person, orally or in writing. You may also submit applications for members of your family, provided that they are along with you in Greece and they wish to do so.
  • In case you cannot communicate with the Asylum Service employees, during the procedure of submitting your application, be informed that an interpreter will be present in order to assist you.
  • When submitting your application, you will have to answer to all questions the service employee asks you, with absolute truthfulness. If you provide false evidence or claims, this is going to have a negative effect on the judgment of your case.
  • If you are an unaccompanied child, i.e. if you are under 18 years old and you are not accompanied by an adult person who is responsible of looking after you, according to the Greek law or practice, the Authorities must immediately notify the competent Public Prosecutor (District Attorney). The Public Prosecutor will appoint a representative (guardian) who will be responsible for you and will act in your best interest. If you are under 14 years old your application for international protection must be submitted by the appointed representative. If you are over 14 years old, you may submit your application yourself. The authorities will care for your protection and to ensure that you are hosted in an environment suitable for minors.
  • When you submit your Application for International Protection, you and any members of your family who are over 14 years old, will be photographed and fingerprinted. Your fingerprints will be entered to the European Central Database EURODAC and, in case you have submitted an application for international protection in another state of Europe where the Dublin II Regulation is in force, you will be transferred there for the examination of your application.
  • You will have to hand in your travel documents (passport) or any other document you may have in your possession and is relevant to the examination of your application, the verification of your and your family members’ identity, your country and place of origin, as well as your family status.
  • You may be body searched and your personal belongings may be searched. You may be submitted to medical examinations.
  • The Asylum Service will determine a date for your interview and then you will receive your international protection applicant's card which can be valid for up to six months. You must carry this card on you at all times.
  • When you submit your application, the competent authorities are obliged to inform you, in a language that you understand, regarding the procedure, your rights and obligations while being an international protection applicant, as well as the deadlines that apply throughout the procedure.
  • If you are a victim of torture, rape or any other serious violent act, you must inform the Authorities accordingly, so that they help you.
  • You may ask to come in contact with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees or an organization that provides legal, medical and psychological support.
  • Throughout the procedure you have the right to ask for the support of a lawyer or other counselor of your own choice (without mediation by the Asylum Service). The fee and expenses of the lawyer or other counselor, however, will be completely at your own cost.
  • If you wish, you may be provided with a short period of time in order to appropriately prepare for your interview and be counseled by a lawyer or other counselor in order to receive support during the procedure.
  • If you are a woman, you may ask for your interview to be conducted by a female Asylum Service employee and a female interpreter, if available.
  • In any case, you may ask for your interview and its interpretation to be conducted by an officer of the sex of your choice, in cases that there is a serious reason for such a request. Your relevant request will be assessed by the Service.
  • If you are an unaccompanied child, you must be informed by your representative regarding your interview. Your representative will be invited and he may be with you during the interview. The authorities may conduct medical tests in order to determine your age. Both you and your representative must be informed regarding this procedure and you or your representative must agree.

| Home | Links | FAQ | Voluntary Return |